How to Talk About Money
For some reason talking about money in America is more taboo then talking about sex. We are floundering as a nation, actually we are having a global floundering, with our relationship with money as demonstrated by our global financial meltdown. It’s time for you to take action in your personal financial recovery and to plan for a future of Financial Freedom.
The reality is the global financial market is like a living entity and is constantly changing, growing, shrinking, every 20-30 years having a recession, or a complete meltdown. I know you want to be prepared and financially secure for any future fluctuations in the market place. The only way to insure your personal financial future is to be able to talk about money keeping yourself as up to date as possible with how to manage your own personal finances ultimately creating and ensuring your own personal financial freedom regardless of what the global market does in the future! So lets get talking!
There are 3 main areas of you life you need to be able to talk about money:
- Within your romantic relationship before you get married and for the married couple that is ready to take control of their finances and create Financial Freedom.
- With your children – How to talk about money to children 8-18 years of age and how to support the development of a healthy relationship with money.
- To be able to ask for more money within the work place to increase your personal earning potential, get a promotion, and/or to close a sale (either a large ticket item you are purchasing getting yourself the best price or if you are a sales person by trade and need to improve your sales quota).
These are 3 separate 6 week coaching clinics. You pick the areas you want to work on:
Talking About Money in Romantic Relationships:
- This topic is broken into two areas talking about money pre or post nuptials.
- If you have not gotten married yet, I can not stress enough, the importance of starting your life out together being able to talk to each other about money, establishing an appropriate budget and understanding how each partner as an individual places value on money and what type of lifestyle you as an individual and you as a couple are looking to create. We will also explore the importance of a prenuptial agreement and dispel any myths associated with the need for a prenuptial agreement.
- For the married couple we will work on your current ability to talk about money, how money has affected your relationship to date, and the important role money plays in the future of your relationship.
- We will discuss retirement goals, current quality and style of life as well as the quality and style of life you would like to create as your relationship grows and develops. So many couples change their ideas and dreams of retirement and lifestyle never sharing their new hopes or dreams with their partner to create huge problems within your marriage and your ability to relate to and connect with each other. Communication is key to a happy relationship and taking is fundamental to that communication.
Talking About Money with Your Children:
- It is important for your children to understand the value of money, how to earn money, and the importance of saving and investing a percentage of what they earn.
- There are two separate categories of which we talk to children about money for the 8-12 year old and the 12-18 year old. The child has a different world view and ability to process and understand information.
- We will explore the value of work ethic, the reality that nothing is free, how we must contribute to our family and eventually pay our own way, and the reality of credit and how to use it wisely.
*I have taught child development and psychology for the past 10 years at the local high schools as part of a special outreach program with the community college giving me a birds eye perspective to the teen and how they process the underlying principles of money and develop relationships. I am also certified to be a school counselor for grades kindergarten through 12 in the state of California giving me additional insight and training with working with this young population.
Talking About Money in the Work Place:
- There are three key areas within the workplace for talking about money; your ability to increase your personal earning potential, the ability for the company to increase its overall bottom line, and how the organizational structure views and discusses financial compensation within the work force and how the employees place personal value on that compensation.
- How to increase your personal earning potential: we begin by doing a gap analysis of where you are now and where you would like to be within the next 12 months, we then begin putting together an action plan to increase your personal income, decrease your spending, and increase your savings and investing. We will explore how you view money, assist you in tapping into your strengths and overcoming your weaknesses where relevant to earning potential, and guide you in the language and tools you need to move up within the company, ask for a pay raise or negotiate a salary and benefit increase, and how to remind yourself you are NEVER on sale.
- How to increase your bottom line in a small business: so many business owners are wearing way too many hats and fear money. The number one problem I see is avoidance and not knowing exactly how they are making ends meet at the end of every month. We will roll up our sleeves and dig into your finances, where is the money coming in an exactly how it is going out! Find the small leaks that might be nickleing and dimeing your company into the red. Do a gap analysis of where you are now as a business and where you would like to be in the next 12 months and put together a plan of action to begin you on the course of your financial goals.
- How to improve your companies overall view of revenue and increase your revenue streams: the key to a successful organization is a healthy relationship with money on all levels of your organization. We will do a gap analysis of where you company is and where you would like to be in the next 12 months, we then begin putting together an action plane to increase the organizational revenue streams, we will explore the corporate culture surrounding money and compensation of your staff, often the staff is motivated by other factors then money and it is imperative for your management to know what moves your employees to action, makes them feel valued, and a contributing part of the team. Once your company is united withing the culture of money your revenue will increase exponentially.
In this 6 week coaching clinic you get:
- Six one-on-one 60 minute coaching calls
- Unlimited email
- A personal gap analysis comparing where you are now to where you would like to be in 12 months and a strategic plan to move your toward your financial goals.
- Together we will create a specific outline, dialogue, and implementation plan for the changes you would like to see depending on the area you chose for the topic of your 6 week clinic: talking about money in your romantic relationships, with your children, or at the workplace.